Saturday 28 September 2013

'The Catcher in the Rye' by J.D. Salinger - Review

As part of my AS Level English literature coursework and exam preparation, I was told to read The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger. I'd been wanting to read this for a long time, knowing how famous it was, but had never got around to buying it, so here was my chance.

I read it in about a day and a half. I know some people who read extremely quickly and could've finished it in a few hours, but I'm not an exceedingly fast reader, and so this was a definite record for me! After reading it, I'll admit, I didn't really understand the deeper meanings to it (or even what the title meant, if I'm honest), but there was something about it that made me fall in love with it straight away. For me, that's what makes a brilliant book.

As I thought about it more and more, and carried out my research, I came to understand the book a lot more. I learned about the symbolism of Holden's red hunting hat, of his struggle with the concept of growing up and losing innocence, and his insecurities both in sexual and non-sexual relationships. I'll certainly not be the first young enthusiast to say all of this, but nevertheless I'd like to share it. I really felt that, even though I (and most other teenagers, I'd like to hope) am not much at all like Holden, Salinger still illustrates the chaos and confusion that goes on in a teenager's mind, which can be very relatable, particularly to me and to others my age.

When I started sixth form after the end of summer, feeling immensely excited to start studying The Catcher in the Rye in class, I made the catastrophic mistake of asking some of my new classmates what they thought of the book. While around half of them sluggishly grunted, "haven't read it yet", the other half (minus a few thankful exceptions) claimed they found it boring, and that there was no plot to it. I calmly resisted yelling at them that it is a modern classic (because yelling wouldn't exactly be the best ice-breaker for making new friends), and told them that this was a piece of literary fiction, rather than commercial fiction; that the writing style, emotive language and ideologies where the main aspects of the novel, rather than the plot; and Salinger certainly did an faultless job of conveying all of these, with phenomenal consequences.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Charlea! I'm really impressed by your new blog, as I said on Twitter, and how seriously you are working at your own writing!

    About Catcher in the Rye: I actually never read it as a teenager. I think I was in my thirties by the time I read it and when i did I really wondered what I'd have thought if I'd read it as a teenager. I just don't know, to be honest. Since I write about the teenage brain and teenage stress, I was struck by your comment about mirroring the chaos and confusion in your mind. But when I read it as an adult, I found Holden really irritating and self-indulgent and I couldn't relate to him at all. (But not because he's a teenager and I'm not - there was something else about him; his apathy, I guess. And I don't think of teenagers as being apathetic at all - well, obviously sometimes, but people of all ages are sometimes!) Like you, though, I loved the language. And, as you say, it's not like commercial fiction so it's allowed to be slower and deeper.

    It's always disappointing when you love a book and find that other people hate it or don't relate to it as you do! I hope your friends find some other books they enjoy, though!

    Hope you enjoy Mondays are Red :) If you do, let me know and I'll send you a free copy (ebook) of two novels I'm about to turn into an ebook - The Passionflower Massacre and Sleepwalking.

    Good luck with your blog and your schoolwork. And your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and thank you for taking the time to read my blog, it means a lot! Yes, I've been determined for a while to be serious about my writing, because I'm certain that if I take a 'I'll just write when I'm older' approach, and don't do my research, I'll be pretty overwhelmed by the system when the time comes and not bother!

      I can imagine it'd be pretty different reading it as an adult, so I'll probably read it again when I'm older and see if my feelings towards it change. In all honesty, I also found Holden quite irritating, and extremely negative on everything for no apparent reason, but I still found his situation relatable on many occasions in the book, (it was mainly the situations themselves that I related to rather than the way Holden handled them, if that makes more sense).

      Thank you, I'm sure I will! I'll definitely let you know what I think of it, I'm really excited to read it. That's incredibly kind of you, thank you so much! You've really boosted my confidence in continuing my blog, I've only had it for a day and already it's worth the effort!

      Thank you very much, again. Good luck to you too - not that you will need it! :)

      Delete
  2. I certainly do need good luck, trust me! Sometimes, adults seem invincible and totally together - if only! Or, even when we are, we still know we need luck to keep us totally together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in that case, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete